PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 14:04
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we wait for Lemurian to get back, the penultimate sentence of that Taipei-Sungshan-Overrun report on page 148 just in language terms alone does 'look' rather leading by use of unusual punctuation, and use of that vaguely vocabulated statement 'allowed the thrust to be frozen' which leaves further questions, does it not?
That involuntary ATHR disconnection allowed the thrust to be frozen on engine2 whose lever was at CLB notch !
Those are Toulouse's own supposedly carefully chosen words, right ?

And in the Taipei-Sungshan-Overrun the "frozen thrust on engine2" was never resolved by the pilots? Once it was in that particular "frozen" state (whatever that really means), was there truly any possibility that it could have been unfrozen in anyway at all? I can hear Airbus drivers now shouting "Yes, just move TL #2 to IDLE!!!", but can we actually assume that because there is no record in the report of the pilots disputing it, that 22.5 degrees was indeed its physical position throughout? Has that been established by means other than FDR? (by asking them). Surely the answer is yes, and if they had moved TL #2 they would remember?

TLA and TRA has been discussed but how is the figure that appears in the FDR actually derived?

Forgive me especially if I have failed (again) to notice something that has been asked before and is now reconciled, but what I am asking is, leaving aside what the FCOM says would be the effect, is there any way that TLA on TL #2 could fail to be recorded in the FDR due to the data derivation being obtained not from the lever itself but instead backwards from 'the' circuit which commands actual (frozen) Thrust or from the 'one' that resolves the angles or even from the 'one' that handles ATHR perhaps? Please forgive and correct any over-simplification ... but we do have "resolvers" for at least one operational purpose and learned that inconsistent 'resolved' values (more than a quarter degree) are rejected ... how many discretely-derived instances are 'stored' in the 'buffer(s)' ? Is there scope for a flawed derivation of TLA being plotted on the FDR?

Last edited by slip and turn; 14th Aug 2007 at 14:52. Reason: Dozy and Rob21 thinking same lines obviously - beat me to it ! Now edited again to improve grammar a bit !