PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 12:46
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
bubbers44
I have never flown an aircraft with this type of logic so do not understand the loyalty so many posters here have to giving this kind of control to a computer and accepting what ever it gives you as better than what a pilot could do if allowed to override the logic.
Non-pilot speaking: All the AB pilots have said that the a/c will give you what you ask of it and that, as far as can be understood at this stage: The a/c WAS giving the pilots EXACTLY what they asked for. Unfortunately, it appears that they asked for the wrong things.

Once again, I repeat the suggestion I made many pages ago in this thread: People will want to reconsider having the two small video cameras on the f/d being part of the recording process. Then we would see what they did and did not do. We can never know what went through their minds.

It was well put by SR71
I don't understand why anyone would think that, in the circumstances a pilot would have been any more inclined to pull a speedbrake lever, than retard a thrust lever?

Cognizant of the fact they were flying an Airbus, with one action, system faults notwithstanding, the machine would have given the pilots all the stopping assistance they needed.

To coin a phrase, "all they had to do" was retard the additional thrust lever.
We do not know why and, in all likelihood, will never know why. However, we do know that some flight crew have left TLs forward instead of retarding them when all the instructions on ALL aircraft tell you to bring them back to idle.