PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 12:17
muffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt to fly in 1980 on 152s etc. I hit the same "what now?" after the PPL and bought a share in an elderly C172. That took me through the IMC rating and the cross channel/UK touring phases, then I went through several shares in various other aircraft. For several years I did only the 5 hours that were needed then to keep the licence, but never actually let it lapse. I suppose my interest just dropped to a slow tickover but never died completely.
Then after 20 years I discovered helicopters. That changed my world completely. They are so fascinating, so capable and such a challenge every time you turn the starter key that my aviation interest has been born again with a vengeance. I now fly my R22 several times a week and have a share in a modern VLA with a Rotax engine. I also fly a modern 3 axis microlight. So now I walk into the hangar and decide what I feel like flying that day. Interestingly I now very rarely go anywhere more than an hour away and have no wish to cross the Channel again. But I am determined to keep flying as long as I can until the day comes when I cannot pass the annual medical.

Last edited by muffin; 14th Aug 2007 at 14:23.