PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA, the chop has started
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 11:20
fly nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4HP, I agree with the sentiment that is the staff numbers/ qualifications, which is a legacy of past and present powers. I do, however, feel the clever boys from FW missed a point or two.

The 3600 SAA technical employees(largest employment group), in addition to maintaining the SAA fleet, Look after Comair/ Kulula (soon entirely). They also do labour intensive D checks for Corsair, AF, LH, and a couple more. They have also started doing B737 freighter conversions, the first client being TNT. Are these staff/ aircraft numbers factored in? Doubt it.

I bet the FW boys don't have clue that Comair, for one, hardly have a technical section. Or flight performance for that matter. Or that SAA dispatch serve Emirates, Air Mauritius, to name a few.

DJ, could you give an indication what the crew demands are on long range vs domestic esp taking crew slipping into account(dkr-jfk)?

Study the effect of the US Airways hub system (La Guardia/
Charlotte/ Orlando) on routes/ airplane. FW Use destinations/ airplane. Similarly SAA LHR, FRA and DUR are three destinations from JNB. They are also served from CPT, so 6 routes, 3 destinations. Polish rfly from a single hub. Therefore, EVERY destination is ONE route. For US Airways, this is vastly different. ie Chicago served directly fro La Guardia, Charlotte and Orlando. FW still think destinations is the best way to go?

Last edited by fly nice; 14th Aug 2007 at 11:33.