PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 10:41
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL,

I understand what you mean by speculation of HF being something rather "uncertain" by nature. However, I would employ the KISS method here, ie. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Basic assumptions like:

- We are on approach, and expecting to land. Thus we are required to STOP on the runway.
- We are taking off, expecting to climb away from the Airport. Thus we are required to not stop on the runway.

Are just examples of two rather basic situations, where the individual is oriented towards some expected action. I will not start speculation as to how and why for example in the takeoff situation, the mind must not think "Go" until v1 with the obvious detailed conditions of course, and how a pilot has to act based on facts at hand rather than previous situation.

But I can tell that if an airplane is not assisting a person in the most rudimentary, dare I say instinctive actions, then it's not doing its job right. We can naturally speculate as to what is instinctive to whom etc. etc., but even psychology has many sets of assumptions as to what happens inside the mind in certain situations, so I am speculating that it's safe to say that IF a pilot is landing a plane, and is unable to decelerate, then his/her mind is thinking: "I want to stop, not crash and die".

Regarding the 2nd previous landing. I was under the impression that it was a different crew at the controls then?

Tero