PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 14th Aug 2007, 09:20
Whiskey Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not getting into the argument on who pays for what, but as one of the few in country who have ADS-B in I'd like to make a few points.

1. ADS-B does not compare to TCAS. The range of data displayed is very different. With ADS-B I get name, alt, speed, trends and position on my display. With TCAS I get a number.

2. They have very different range limitations, with my ADS-B being vhf line of sight means I can tweak my range and get good situational awareness as well as prempting any possible problems.

3. It didn't cost nearly as much to fit and maintain the ADS-B as compared to the whizbang TCAS.

Now I will add I'm not flying the aircraft, that my display is a purpose built sytstem that has a different purpose to collision avoidence. Mind you it's nice to tell the boys up the front whats around them. I hope I'm not telling people to suck eggs but I am a fan of ADS-B given my experience of it, especially compared to TCAS. The other interesting thing is Merchant Vessels have been using a similar sytem, the AIS which gives the same sort of information, posn, course, speed, type. They have been using it for years as a collision avoidence system with no real problems.

Last edited by Whiskey Oscar Golf; 14th Aug 2007 at 09:32. Reason: AIS