PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Commissioned Pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 07:55
PlasticCabDriver

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
It would appear that you are drawing the rank comparisons between a Battalion (850 strong unit) and an RAF squadron; rather than a Sqn (sub-unit) and an RAF Sqn. This appears to quadruple the importance of an RAF sqn size!

No I didn't. I pointed out that the org of a typical RAF Sqn contains a number of flights each commanded by a Sqn Ldr by virtue of the number of JO and SNCO ranks contained within them. A military unit that contains a number of sub-units each commanded by a Sqn Ldr/Major/Lt Cdr would, I suggest, be not unreasonably commanded by a Wg Cdr/Lt Col/Cdr.

By my logic reduce the junior officers to NCOs, the flights to be commanded by Flt Lts and the squadrons to be commanded by 'Leaders of Squadrons'.

I'm sure we could do that. However, it would give little, if any, cost savings, cause vast disruption to a long established and working system, and we will not do it simply to satisfy the clamourings of those who are unable to make the distinction between the rank of Sqn Ldr, and the appointment of Squadron Commander.