PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 14th Aug 2007, 06:42
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Scurvy.D.Dog,

You should be in management so you can make some real decisions in relation to this – by simply posting anonymously on a pilots website it is obvious your skills are not being used properly – I am serious on this.

You state:

“Once IFR (Regional RPT) particularly have ADS-B in - … the opportunity to reduce third party intervention (OCTA) becomes a reality… why would you not want that?”
Yes, I would like that. However, at the present time there is no such thing as a certified ADS-B “in” unit. As I have explained, even the new Airbus 380 uses TCAS to show traffic from other aircraft – it does not use ADS-B. There are a few gimmick “hand held units” which can show other aeroplanes but there is no aural alert, so the airline pilot would have to look down at the device all the time rather than looking out or looking at the instruments on the panel.

This is a serious issue. Why not put an existing and well proven TCAS in an aircraft and get the extra safety now rather than wait for another 10 or 15 years before ADS-B “in” units are available.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 14th Aug 2007 at 06:53.