PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air taking non-typoe rated captains?
Old 14th Aug 2007, 01:44
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear to land, while I understand your way of thinking, I still don't agree. Of course it's about long haul vs short haul. But why does the chief pilot of Korean, e.g., ask for a "current wide body experience"?? If he really would be up to his task, he would have asked for long haul experience or "worldwide experience", that's what it's all about. His way of looking for pilots and the rigid rule of applying them present me with the fact that his thinking is far away from your rational reasoning.

As mentioned before, there are lots of very capable crews around on B737 and A320 with lengthy experience on long haul operations, in all type of operations, everywhere in the world. If you know to fly a B737 from one continent to another, you can easily do it with a B777.
As long as chief pilots in Asia and their supporting contractors don't realize it they will be in an artificial crew shortage. Good for the 777 pilots, bad for the Asian carriers...

But don't worry, in a year or two, the shortage will be so big that even the Korean chief pilot will realize this fact.

Dani