PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 00:33
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sdruvss
It's the same as one driver wishing to turn left, turns right. This don't happen.
SR71 corrects the notion and I can confirm that more than once in the car I have found myself stopping at green traffic lights when distracted by 'more important' matters. One of which I recall vividly was ferrying a top Head Office boss from a meeting at our branch office to an important meeting elsewhere and I was concentrating on leaving him with a favorable impression of my conversational abilities and general wit!

I have never found out what happens when I have unconsciously reached a red traffic light ... I think I would be kidding myself if I assumed I had a kind of built-in failsafe logic that has been dealing with that successfully.

I also agree with bomarc to the extent that TLs are not STOP levers. Brake pedals are STOP levers and in an automatic car that has long since been good enough ... I don't mean to trivialise here ...

That means I guess I disagree with PBL on the same basis when he reminded us that the A320 braking system obviously can't ever have been compared to bicycle brakes at any level of analysis.

I guess I was aged about 3 when I started computing speed and began to learn how brake levers led to the antidote on my first trike. Consequently I believe I would have been hardwired like that before JFK got shot.

Ten years later, my first drive in a real car on the farm was in an old minivan which had a throttle fault which meant it was stuck open at maybe 2000rpm. I had already driven tractors which had thumping great independent brake pedals that could stop a wheel dead and turn the thing on a sixpence. Yet in that little minivan I almost crashed because I was completely surprised by the superiority of continuing uncalled for power versus much less powerful brakes.

Thankfully I already knew how to disengage the power train.

At about the same time astronauts were driving the moon buggy in 1/6th earth Gravity. I wonder if that stopped on the TLs or good old Brake Levers?

Well the NASA website has popped my bubble ... the Moon-buggy (LRV) did have mechanical brakes, but a T-shaped hand controller situated between the two seats controlled the four drive motors, two steering motors and brakes. Moving the stick forward powered the LRV forward, left and right turned the vehicle left or right, pulling backwards activated the brakes. Activating a switch on the handle before pulling back would put the LRV into reverse. Pulling the handle all the way back activated a parking brake.

So I guess I must bow to greater precedent ...

Amazing, this thread has me dredging up experience from decades ago which I know are still hardwired...but then my spacial awareness never was good enough to fly any simulator of the Lunar Excursion Module - guess I was never cut out to be the Right Stuff like those guys.

The Human Factors in this are mind-boggling.