PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 00:05
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About computer logic, allow me some simplistic observations:
1. We, humans, are capable of doing ALL complex calculations that computers do. The difference is we are a billion times slower (or more)...
2. We, humans, TELL computers what we want them to do.
3. Since they "obey" so well, and so fast, one can imagine computers can almost "think".
4. We forget the only thing a computer can do, is fast calculations. And we leave them in charge of tasks we don't like (or we are not good at) and even allow them to make simple "decisions". I remember how nice it was to "engage" my first Auto Pilot. Then Auto Throttle, wow!
5. We've got to a point where modern aircraft need computers to help pilots fly them. Simple decisions, like IF THIS - GO TO THAT, we (pilots) don't mind if computers do so.
6. We, humans, are underestimating computers, they are capable of taking care of incredible amount of tasks, and yes, they can make important decisions based on their fast and multiple calculations. We only have to imagine, and computers will execute with perfection.

Let's only imagine that the computer on-board TAM A-320 could have done a bit of more "thinking", like: "OK, we have engine 1 on reverse, and eng 2 on accelerate command. WoW, fine, but the pilot didn't make-up his mind yet, so I won't give him spoilers nor A/B. Oops, he went to manual brakes. Well, maybe he just touched the toe brakes, his intention was to move rudder only. No, I won't give him spoilers (I can forget about A/B, he is in charge of wheel brakes). After all, eng 2 TL is still at the same position.
But wait!! He has one engine in reverse for quite a while now, and he is still on the brakes. Know what? I'm going to give this guy all he needs for a full stop. I will shut down engine #2, deploy spoilers and help him with the brakes. I don't think he will be mad at me for doing this without asking. After all, if he wants to continue flying, he can still do it later. Just a TL off position alone does not mean the pilot wants to continue flying. And with one engine on reverse and one accelerating he (we) won't fly anyways. I've heard from an old and wise computer of a pen that got stuck on the TL's tray and the pilot couldn't move it (yes, we, computers can divagate - we think fast, remember?) But if I don't help him stop NOW, he (we) won't fly again later... I'm going to emergency stop mode!"

Sorry if I got carried away. I am learning a lot from many of you and would like to continue enjoying your company.

Rob

Last edited by Rob21; 14th Aug 2007 at 01:44. Reason: typo