PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 20:57
bomarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sinbin makes a good point. it would be natural to bring both throttles back...and if not into reverse, at least to idle ala pre taipei.

sdruvss: I don't think the pilots are likely to have made this mistake.
Impossible? no. Improbable, yes.

dozy: you've said something that make me really think<<<The pilot tells the aircraft to stop by retarding the thrust levers >>>

that is not how you fly airplanes...you tell the engines what to do with the thrust levers...they are not STOP LEVERS. IF you power to idle in flight, the plane doesn't stop. It may lose speed if you hold altitude. You will keep speed if you lose altitude...but the plane doesn't STOP( while inflight)

You are speaking as if you really know computers and you have my respect...but with this LOGIC, you forget what thrust levers/throttles were when these men first learned to fly.

Now, I do know that you can trigger a multitude of events by doing certain things. And that rejected takeoffs can be facilitated by certain automatic functions triggered by throttle/thrust lever movements. We all know that automatic spoilers can improve stopping performance and they are nice to have. But to think of throttles/thrust levers as stop levers leaves a gap on the human side.

It is time to rethink the LOGIC.