PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duplication of QNH on Clearance callup
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 17:33
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny

Just a minor point. It is my understanding that here is no requirement to read the QNH to APPROACH/DIRECTOR when checking-in in the UK. It is normally only a requirement to read the QNH to DELIVERY.

In my opinion the QNH is really the only part of the ATIS that has a major impact on ATC if copied incorrectly. The visibility, cloud base and wind don't really affect separations between aircraft (unless there are IFR/VFR operations being undertaken simultaneously). With that in mind, the altimeter setting is the only part of the ATIS that needs to be checked by ATC. Thus it makes sense to read it to them to make sure we are both using the same setting.

One technique used by controllers in the UK of which I am strongly in favour is just reporting the significant elements that have changed if I check in with an out of date ATIS letter. This is a much better method than that used in certain parts of the world where they keep badgering and bleating at you as to whether "you've got ATIS Joooliet" yet at 3000' on approach on a CAVOK day. Bizarre.

G W-H