PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should We Wear Helmets
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 16:57
psyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulliBell - I agree that it is indeed a personal preference and for many [given the hours they might expect to fly] probably not worth while statistically. But it is a similar scenario to car seat belts [before legislation]. In 1974 I was in a major motorway pile up and guess what? I was wearing a belt. 6 others involved were not and 3 died. I wear one all the time, every time.

In my early years flying in the far east I hated wearing a helmet and the continuous dribble of sweat in the humidity just p****** me off. One day I got into the aircraft for a ground run without it on. I now have the scar where once there were 7 stitches in my scalp, through my own stupidity. So I similarly wear one all the time now. All it takes is just one incident on the ground or otherwise and that is it for most. For the sake of wearing it it just aint worth the potential price.

And with over 33 years of experience in aviation, I request you accord me the same that you desire of me. I offer my experience for the benefit of others.

However, as you point out, it is personal preference. I just prefer to urge others to not take the chance.

Best Wishes

Psy