PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duplication of QNH on Clearance callup
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 16:51
Data Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbubba wrote:
Does anyone still use QFE? Even American Airlines gave up on it after a couple of near crashes a while back. Why is it still on the ATIS at all?
QFE on ATIS? Not in the UK...

and who uses it? Well at the airport where I work one of the North Sea helicopter Operators still does and so do many of the light aircraft not to mention Her Majestys Royal Air Force of which we see a fair few in our neck of the woods.

Digressing again.... (apologies Danny but I have to correct a widely held misconception) Denti Wrote :

Yup, but an ILS clearance doesn't allow to descent below the glide, just to descent on the glide
INCORRECT (in the UK anyway) To give a quick example: Heathrow 27L PUBLISHED ILS procedure commences at 2500' If you intercept G/P at a higher altitude (and I expect you usually would) and are "cleared ILS" it is legit to descend immediately (below G/P) to 2500' (platform altitude) - not necessarily a good idea with all the London Heli routes nearby. No doubt the reply will be "nobody would do that!" Well they have in the past.....

DD