PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 13th Aug 2007, 14:26
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Oh please have my command, Sir.

At 37, I am unlikely to find myself in the LHS of any major airline this side of 50
Well, I am not trying to be rude when I say it's no good hanging on in the mob and then bleating about it.
As I've just said, that is how things work in our industry.
'Hachet Harry'? so do you think you should be permitted to march into the big boys of civil aviation and hatchet your way to the LHS?
I've flown with FOs from Harriers, Reds etc; relaxed and competent people of the highest aviation calibre; and I never heard one of them complain about the system. I am sure they would have been welcome to remain in the military but chose to leave.
There are companies, such as Cathay/Cathay Cargo, which offer accelerated promotion but, if you wish to join a Western seniority based major, that's the deal. Don't forget that many companies are now increasing their normal retirement age to 60 and, now that the Yanks and Frogs have got their act together, you can fly in command to 65.
When we had a bunch of ex mil guys join some years ago we were a little concerned that they would have difficulty losing the attitude to work which, whilst absolutely correct in the military, makes one a soft touch for the beancounters. We need not have concerned ourselves; they learnt fast that civil life is a marketplace - we work, they pay us and a seniority system offers some protection.