PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 13th Aug 2007, 11:23
jpsingh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Seniority

A very interesting and for a change a reasonably mature debate !!I think BelArgUSA has put forward a very mature point of view with Dan Buston debating it with relevant reasoning. The point here is that NO PROFESSIONAL management can afford to give the position to the lowest bidder.
Direct entry Captains are required from time to time and so would Direct Examiners and Instructors.The comparisons to Surgeons /Scientists/Professors etc is the most appropriate. There is a talent pool .....a National resource which has been built up and if everyone says that the training is pretty similar then I dont understand why we cannot have an ICAO SENIORITY based on no. of your ATPL license/Flying hours/Examiner,Check Pilot, Instructor Status/Accident free flying record/Simulator Reports/Check Rides/Refresher etc etc.At the end of the day in any Airline we always know the good ,professional guys and I dont see why someone should grudge a better guy from getting WHAT HE DESERVES.In the Airline Profession we wear our Seniority on our sleeve....literally !!!!!!