PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End Of Cabin Crew Seniority In Qf Long Haul?
Old 13th Aug 2007, 09:59
And5678

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I read the varied and interesting posts for this subject I find myself torn between the different opinions penned.

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept that we need to be careful when tinkering with the seniority based bidding system for short term gain. It has rewarded crew over the years. Things like access to lifestyle rostering, ability to bid with mates, and a system that for most parts is transparent and creates order, ie. we know where we stand in the game.

The system that we operate under is around 20 years old. Since it was introduced a number of critical changes has occurred -

* overseas bases
* Melbourne & Brisbane bases
* reduced local recruitment
* less destinations
* increased long range flying
* Australian Airlines/Jetstar
* Short Haul regional flying

Over that time, minimal if any changes have been made to the way the bidding system operates. Some of the arguments I hear to maintain the system as is, I believe fail to recognise these important events in our flying. In MEL you have the situation where 15% of the base earns substantially more than the remainder, and another 15% struggle to even gain a trip with a slip port.

Although there will always be extreme views on the fringes of our community, I don't believe most junior crew want the bidding system based on seniority abolished. The concept of seniority and what it has to offer is well regarded. Most just want the system to evolve and respect their circumstances.

Suggestions that I think have merit and are worth discussion include rotating seniority for leave, capping of selected trips, bidding for style of trips as opposed to specific trips. In addition, is it worth considering the introduction of casuals and FWA system (dumping and picking up of trips) that short haul has?

I hope the majority of us in here continue the positive discussion and expression of ideas that has occurred to date and we achieve some well deserved wins come EBA.