PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Moorea Twin Otter crash - Tahiti
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 08:48
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6to8 Has made some very good points, I too have about 4000 on type and find it very hard to believe that someone could make this kind of mistake. I have flown with Serge C, who used to be Air Moorea’s TRE/TRI and there is no why he ever trained anyone to touch and not look!

With regard different procedures, I have flown with 5 different companies on the otter, some used different procedures, ie no AutoFx on Floats, etc however the most amazing was the Full Flap scenario that 6to8 mentions.

How can someone be checked out as competent and never had a full flap landing? The reply I got is its not company procedure……. The same was flapless landings (ok ok I know what the manual says) but if you don’t have access to the sim where do you get it.

The TO is a bush plane and no matter what rules you operate under it is a real hands on plane, no pussy auto this and auto that, hell most don’t even have autopilots!

I find it really difficult to believe this was a pilot error due “training issues” accident, I also find it difficult to comprehend crashing straight ahead a mile from the field with as witness’ reported both engines operating.

Also I find it difficult to understand why it was single pilot where even JAR Ops state that given the number of seats it should have been two crew (or do F-Oxxx have differing rules? Would not surprise me!)

There will be a lot more to this accident than meets the eye so lets stop the speculation and await the report. The weather was good, the operator has a good track record, the leg was 7 mins, there are no traffic issues, nor terrain on departure track…..

Something does not add up.