PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 06:17
Mauersegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altitude / Control in the last seconds

Hello pprune members, I was following the accident analysis here, only because of my curiosity (I'm a biologist). I got captived here due to the quality of the discussion, congratulations!
He stated that the Airbus had a strange loss of altitude seven seconds before landing.“If the radioaltimeters were correct, he had a ratio of descend from 150 feet (45mg) to 170 feet (51.8m) in the last seven seconds before touching down. This would be equivalent to a ratio of descend of 1.2 thousand feet per minute (365 meters per minute) and this would be a vary rapid descend”.
One look at the terrain profile of the approach to CGH would tell you that radio altimeter rate, or vertical speed as measured by changes in the rad alt would be higher than normal due to the upslope of the terrain approaching the runway. ELAC
If I'm right, the "Altitude Press." on the first page of the FDR transcript is the altitude based on the air pressure, that shows a descent rate of (750f-650f)/40s= 3.125 ft/s=187.5ft/min (57m/min), in a very smoothly way.

Control of the plane:
I'm puzzled about the dialog and the actions of the crew. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but could it be, that the PF call: look this.(18:48:34:4) is meaning something like "look at this" = "take care of the plane"? (It would be a non-conform action,?, but not the first one...) The PF trying to activate the spoilers (disarm, arm again). And the subsequent calling from the PM (HOT-2 go, go, go, turn turn turn turn.18:48:44:6 HOT-2 turn turn to…no, turn turn. 18:48:45:5) was a "loud thinking" or "command to the plane" and not directed to the PF (who was not doing inputs anymore?). Is it possible to tell, who was acting the rudder/brakes?
Regards,
Mauersegler
I'm not sure these two calls were from Hot-2 (in the FDR-transcript they are)

Last edited by Mauersegler; 13th Aug 2007 at 07:03. Reason: add