PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End Of Cabin Crew Seniority In Qf Long Haul?
Old 13th Aug 2007, 05:44
Southside747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, as much as I would rather keep the system as it is, we have to go into possibly our most important battle with a united front. Everyone has to be in this together. As much as I disagree with the more junior who despise the system, without their support we are basically all gone.

A couple of ideas, they are only ideas so don't get personal. Worth discussing however.

Perhaps we should look at giving them a system of leave (rotating seniority) so the young mothers can get leave over school holidays once every say three years. When it comes to Christmas, those of us in the top third will be able to get the X days if not on leave, so it shouldn't cost us too badly. But it will give something to those who whine below.

I also feel not too much will be lost by doing similar to the techcrew and using a bucket style system. Perhaps a certain amount of direct LA's max, and maybe one San Fran per person per roster. This would share them around. I do feel dismayed when some who go to San Fran sit in their rooms the whole time, and talk about how they only go there back to back. May as well sit in your room in LA if you want. Those of us who go to the states and nowhere else can still do so, just maybe on slightly different trips. Not too much lost.

Perhaps a limit on Europes also, maybe 2 a roster. Should get more people there who want to go.

Personally, I am also in favour of 1 night slips over there (LA). Have done a few and would rather the extra days at home each roster if I can do them and nothing else. Just my opinion. Not everyone likes them so more of a mix perhaps.

Otherwise keep the system as it is. Us more senior have only lost a very small amount while those down the list should achieve a much greater return in theory. At least enough to keep them in the same trench when the battle nears.

The company gets some of what they want, and in return we need a few things. Pay. Us senior ones are the worst hit by the assigning of long service and annual leave and this needs to be addressed. Real pay has diminished for most in the last couple of years due to this, less allowances and Long Range after the London base, and the falling US dollar diminishing the value of US allowances. This needs to be fixed. Going backwards like we have been has to stop.

Recongniton of the contribution of cabin crew is also high. It really annoys me that we get portrayed as we do and respected as such. I feel insulted when paxing and getting bumped by all manner of staff from an upgrade. On one trip, the whole crew paxed home and the 4 tech crew (second officers included) got put in first while we were spread elsewhere. Surely the CSM is a senior manager in this company who should at least command the same respect or more as S/O's who always seem to travel in much more style. Same goes for uni graduates with 3 months in the company bumping someone who has 20 years plus. It is felt as an insult from the company when the above happens to a lot. They do not respect the effort and job we do.

To win, we are going to have to give a little, but demand a lot more in return.

United we must fight. Give a little and hopefully gain a lot.