PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 12th Aug 2007, 21:00
On-MarkBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always believed the seniority system was something invented by our ex-military friends who cannont bare it unless they are a higher rank than someone else. So having got the maximum amount of stripes they can get, they then have to be able to 'out rank' others because they are 'more senior'. The system sucks and is particularly juvinile in my opinion. Bleating F/Os should understand that people die, get ill, or just get pissed off with the whole industry and leave vacancies for them. Their time will come, if they are good enough. I myself have been party to hideous management 'bullying'. "if you don't like it, you know where the door is", knowing full well that if I walk through the door I would have to join someone else's list at the bottom. I took the door and was lucky, they paid out and I still got a job commensurate with my ability and experiance. Many don't!!
Those guys who have suffered redundancy have my whohearted sympathy.
Can you imagine if you were a senior surgeon doctor at some hospital, not being able to take your skill with you if you moved because you would only get a job as a junior doctor anywhere else. It's absurd.
As one person has already said, perhaps there should be a National seniority list, held by the authority and updated annually depending on what you've done.
Anyone who thinks a seniority list is a good idea has not been the the industry long enough, or never been out of work. Just wait you guys, your time might surely come when like me and others you will curse this disgrace. And while you're waiting, take a gun and shoot yourself in the foot like you have done to the rest of us!!!