PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 12th Aug 2007, 16:57
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I'd be careful of those presumptions if I were you; I meant 'be'.

The annual aircrew medical determines medical fitness, and not physical fitness. A cracking set of nuts and perfect eyesight won't help you if you're pulling G's. When developing parachute harness, the UK g'ment took advice from NASA and AGARD (the Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development). NASA/AGARD research indicates 'a serious injury risk at 12.1G, but the differing posture, physical fitness levels, harness attachment location, ’wearer comfort’ and other factors have influenced the advisability of 6G as a maximum for users'. But perhaps you know more than NASA and AGARD? I would love to see data from anyone which says physical fitness is not a factor in determining efficiency levels when flying.

I don't know why the anti fitness lot doesn't just admit it. It has an aversion to the idea and however much you all try to cloud the issue with pseudo mumbo jumbo, you just can't be arsed to waddle to the gym. I bet you a pound do a pinch of p#g**** that all the crabs with an aversion to it would have a different attitude in civvy street. Also, on another thread here, I read the BA job spec with mild interest;

<< www.britishairwaysjobs.com

"Managed Path/RAFCARS (Service Pilot Hold Pool)

Scheme is for experienced high calibre Military pilots who..

You as a Person:

Physically fit and meet the requirements for the issue of a JAA/CAA Medical Licence (Class 1) and able to satisfy British Airways medical requirements. Please note that British Airw..">>

Imagine the scene..

"So, Sqn Ldr, welcome to BA and now that you're out of the RAF, we would like to inform you of some new CAA standards.".

"That doesn't matter to me, my mission with you is to project 216 civilians to Malaga and by God, thats what I'm going to do.".

"So you don't want to adopt the new CAA standard?"

"No. I don't think that I need to be fit to fly passengers.".

"Thank you. Your P45 will be in the post. Don't forget to hand in your pass on the way out.".

"Erm, splutter.. aaah, perhaps I could join a gym.. ".

And it might well now be called Defence Writing now; I trust you'll be embracing the changes to RAF fitness levels with equal eagerness?

Last edited by Al R; 12th Aug 2007 at 17:11.