PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 or Jet aircraft generally Tail-Pipe Fires
Old 12th Aug 2007, 12:33
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting question, Centaurus.
Clearly recall parts of the drill are important, but so is having the punters calmed...and not heading for the exits, enmass.
And, this brings up another point.
If for some reason, all electric power (except for the hot ships battery bus) is lost due to engines being shut down in a hurry, do you still have a functioning PA system?
On modern aircraft of course, the answer is yes, but this was not true in some earlier jet transports, for example, the B707's that Braniff had purchased new.
Some of these found their way to other carriers, and this was not realised, until I pointed it out to a check Captain during a proficiency check in the companies sim.
He was sure he was correct, and I knew darn well he was not, so out on the tarmac we went, and tried the PA with all engines shut down, but with the battery switch ON, in an 'ole Braniff 707 that the company had...sure enough it didn't work, and he had to eat crow on the spot...this was of course after he had signed my check form as 'completed to a very good standard'.