PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should We Wear Helmets
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2007, 11:05
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Africans....

They can make Asians look safety-conscious when it comes to riding styles, I find. I used to make it back from Tu Do Street after-hours on a little Honda 50 driven by a genuine Saigon Cowboy and think nothing of that but that was then and this is now. For lots of folks it is still "then," I guess.

To get back to the direct point here, it is a bit of a conundrum to figure out how to get the passengers to appreciate the amount of risk present in some sorts of aviation without scaring them away. Well, in many cases it is either fly, swim or walk, when flying is the best, safest option.

The problem I always have come up against is that management just do not want to move forward in using PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). It always seems to take legislation to make that happen.

I remember one madman I used to work for who thought I was being really precious to wear a headset in his DC-3. It must have been 120 decibels in there during take-off, when he found that shouting and gesticulating was really the way to go. I could hear him perfectly well wearing my headset, he was shouting so loud over the racket in there.

The two main arguments seem to be cost and image. Even if one is willing to buy one's own PPE, so no cost problem, then image, frightening the pax, comes into it. The idea that the pax do one trip when you do ten is a good counter-argument but you would still need management willing to first think seriously about PPE.

It must be a bit weird to come out of the military, having worn some of the best PPE on the market, to then start flying the same equipment dressed in a short-sleeved shirt, polyester slacks and low-quarter shoes. I know at least two guys who were turned into crispy critters that way.

Given that there is no gain in this, usually, for the pax, I guess there is no groundswell towards legislating the use of PPE. About the only argument would be that the crew still conscious could evacuate pax post-crash where if they were knocked cold they would be no use at all. That you have to wear a helmet riding a bicycle or a motorbike but not a car, an airplane or a helicopter is a bit nonsensical, but there you are.