PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI Mainline T&Cs
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2007, 18:08
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmi motivation

It is true that few of those in bmi would not consider a move but most many have other motivations which retain them

Some wish to continue working at a location of their choice, others want an early command possibly because of age to maximise earning during a limited career

Most of us were in bmi because they offered us a job and treated us fairly, certainly that applied to me

I was never happy with the standard of management or the motivation of managers decision making

Most managers worked hard at their jobs, not always with the deserved results. Some were merely self seeking in the decision making but mostly these were soon sussed and dumped back in the pool or sent to Baby

An airline that gets and keeps that many pilots over fifty years must be doing something right Generally problems are resolved well short of industrial action although it has been threatened a few times over the last 20 years. a few legal cases got to the court steps and one went to an indsutrial tribunal which they lost big style but mostly the problems were avoided by the top ranks Anyway they pay my pension regularly and I am not embarrased to say I worked for them. How many airlines can be spoken of in this way

The standard of training was excellent and unstinting, the trainers were highly commited and grossly overworked People with problems they were dealt with sensitively and fairly Crewing were the usual mix of decent folks and others using all sorts of fiddles to get the job done if you did not watch them Often partiality was available to pals

A demoted captain who spent years off sick returning for short periods as the end of his sick pay neared eventually retiring on pension. I never detected any pressure on him to leave or return to work if he did not want to, mostly the rest of us did not regret his abscence