PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Move RAAF/SAF Pearce To Learmonth/Curtin...
Old 11th Aug 2007, 10:44
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
willadvise. thanks for the figures and the link for mcmillans site.I will read more closely when I have more time.
I only mentioned LAX as an example of high arrival and departure rates on any given single runway that ATC can achieve.
If Pearce airspace is preventing a smooth arrival routings from NW of the 030 radial then my earlier post in this thread re RAAF airspace being reduced per the US model mentioned MUST be implemented.
That means controllers and pilots must get together and demand CASA implement changes that are required using political and union pressure if necessary.
The military serve the Australian taxpayers NOT the other way around so the RAAF will have to come to the party and accept the changes and the fact this is not the 1950s-70s when air traffic volume was non existant by todays standard/volumes and they cannot expect to occupy such staggering amounts of airspace over/next to a major city and international airport that is ssoooo busy.
The LA basin has a huge # of airports,civil and military and because of the airspace layouts and sizes and ATC practices safely handle far higher traffic volumes with far less problems.
Obviously a new runway would be ideal as well but not likely in the immediate future.
CASA forces all sorts of changes and charges on industry when it suits them so lets see some action in this area within a short time frame measured in months not years for a change.
I understand ATC does its best under the difficult constraints imposed by this situation but it is obvious from Mcmillans site and the previous comments here that the airspace must be opened up and restructured before there is an aluminium shower in somebodies future. Too damn late then when there is a smoking crater and 2 wrecked aircraft and God knows how many lives lost.