PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Express
Thread: SA Express
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2007, 09:08
nugpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAX just took 22 pilots. There are quite a few upgrades to be done, so the training department is maxed out for the year. Interviews will continue for possible employment early next year.

Jaco, the lady you spoke to is a well-respected captain at SAX and was just giving you the correct info. SAX has 2 bases (CPT and JNB) and it is almost impossible to commute and still have a life. We fly all 4-sector days and as reptile said, you have to be available for standby's.

For all those interested in a career at SAX: The employment process is changing to a more structured approach. You will be called for an initial interview at which you will write a technical/aviation knowledge quiz. Your marks for this quiz will be extremely important for future slots. You will also have a short "get to know you" interview. Guys/girls who impress here, will go on to a shortlist for future employment. When SAX needs pilots, those shortlisted will be called for the main interview and psycho's. We do not currently have access to a local sim, so we cannot give you a sim ride.

I completely agree with reptile's inputs on CV's. Just some added info. You are considered for a flying position at an airline. Your school career 10 years ago is not important. Tertiary qualifications should at least be mentioned. SAX will give you initial CRM, DG, AVMED, Fire-fighting training, so whether you have those qualifications is also pretty unimportant.

It is very important that your flying qualifications (ATP, Comm, Instructor's rating) and hours can be found easily in your CV. They are the main qualifying criteria. If you want to make things easier for the guy who vets the CV's, break down your hours as follows:

Turbine hours:
Multi-engine hours:
Multi-crew hours: (Van hours should NOT feature here)
Command hours:
Total hours:

Initial employment at SAX is FO on the fleet that is short. That can be JNB DH8, JNB CRJ or CPT CRJ. There are currently guys in JNB who want CPT slots, so it will probably take a while before CPT slots are again available. You can decide to wait for a particular fleet, but obviously it might mean that you never get in.

CV's go straight to the Chief Pilot and Fleet Captains. HR struggle to make this happen, so first choice is for you to pop in to the office in JNB and speak to one of these gentlemen. Your chances of finding them in the office are increased on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Second choice is to give your CV to a mate that flies for SAX and ask him to drop it off. If you don't have mates or are not in the country, PM me for my email address and I will make sure it gets there.

Any other questions?