PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Level Busts" increasing in UK -- The Times
Old 11th Aug 2007, 08:47
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad as a MAd thing

As a London TMA controller, I would say that out of the level busts I see, the majority of them are by A/C in the climb.

As for the call "check Standard pressure set" before issuing a climbing to FL - surely the words Flight Level should be sufficient prompt? Certainly was when I flew.

As for the stepped climbs on the SIDs - it can be complicated, but they are needed in the LTMA due to the huge interaction between airport departure tracks... if we did not have them, departure intervals would hugely increse (treble or more?), as every London airport would have to integrate a departure with each other.

Agreed though that one set of charts in particular seem to be very poor - whjy this has not been addressed I do not know.

However, it does not help ATCOs when pilots (particularly Delta in this case) call climbing to 6000 altitude, when tyhey should be stopping at 4A initiaqlly. When we query it they acknowledge that they will be stopping at 4A first - why not say that straight away? Save valuable R/T time for the ATCOs and stops pilots having to make radio calls when they are otherwise in the busiest stage of flight.

And whilst on the subject - If we give a climb above the SID level - do not ask "is that unrestricted?" - It means climb now! The new clearance negates the old.

Fatigue may have a part to play in increase in busts, but having not read the article, has it mentioned that in the LTMA actual level busts have decreased, but this is hugely in part, to the use of MODE S. What has increased is the number of reports (that we as controllers are asked to input) of prevented level busts.

This is to be expected with MODE S and the increase in traffic levels!