PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2007, 08:27
armchairpilot94116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those in the know. I am really going to show my ignorance so forgive me. But I was wondering since the grass slows the aircraft better then the tarmac does apparently. And I am certain it is fraught with danger and is a total unknown. Aircraft running in the grass are totally out of control and can lose engines and wings and rolll upside down and catch fire , among other things. But if you were piloting that plane and found yourself in that very unfortunate and desparate situation of speeding down the tarmac and knowing that the jet wont stop and cant be stopped before you run out of runway. And knowing that the end is not going to be a good one. Would you steer your plane off the tarmac and into the grass alongside at say the last third of the runway and hope that this last desparate measure would work?

Or is that :

A. beyond stupidity to even consider
B. wouldnt possibly be a consideration because of A and because no training or such a thought would even cross your mind.

And finally would you think it would be preferable then to run straight off the end of the runway at Congonhas and into either the freeway below or buildings or both.

not a happy choice anyone should have to make, but would it work to save some lives?