PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restrictions on military contributions to the Interweb
Old 10th Aug 2007, 21:22
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
I assume any information obtained under the Freedom of Information Act can be posted here. I’d also suggest that an individual is at liberty to post any information he has received under the Data Protection Act (given he can only obtain this if he is entitled to it).

Here’s an interesting one. If, under FOI, one has a letter which states “I uphold the ruling at Reference x”, is one at liberty to (a) divulge the contents of Reference x and/or (b) divulge the details of what was being ruled on?

Also, if my MP lobbies Minster on a subject and forwards the Ministerial reply to me, can that be deemed to be in the public domain and divulged?

Common sense dictates “yes” to the above, especially if the papers have no classification marking on them and are sent to one’s home.

Would MoD pursue someone who divulged extremely embarrassing, but legitimately obtained, information? They may find themselves held up to ridicule. As my Director once said when shown evidence of hundreds of millions being deliberately wasted, “That’s political dynamite”.