PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fair dinkum: Aussie phrase sparks in-flight dispute
Old 10th Aug 2007, 13:43
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Weasil.

As an Aussie myself, I'm a bit bemused by this, but in the F/A's defence, she's an F/A - not an expert in other languages and cultures (although she should be sensitive to them); as a result, for all she knew, "fair dinkum" might actually mean "go fcuk yourself" in Austrenglish. Personally, when it comes to Australianisms I've never actually used the phrase "fair dinkum" (and I'm nearly as old as Ms Reynolds) and I've never referred to anyone as my "cobber" and I don't know anyone who has.

Having observed some of my fellow nationals abroad at times (and run, at times... ) it would not surprise me if there is any truth in the comment that there was "aggressive behavior throughout the flight" by Ms Reynolds. That said, what might to an Aussie seem perfectly normal, might seem "aggressive" to some others.

For instance: Bill Woodfull to team-mates (re D. Jardine): "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"