PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 11:11
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hetfield, Right Way Up,

it seems that you object somehow to a public technical discussion of what went on in the accident.

I may suppose that you think that appropriate behavior is for a designated set of "official" investigators to consider data in camera and then to decide on their conclusions and issue them some months to years later.

We don't need to discuss this here, and possibly we shouldn't, but (ignoring this point I would like to point out that there are many weaknesses in this procedure.

First, like all of us, designated investigators are humans and may make mistakes, as investigators themselves know. A wider informed technical discussion helps to avoid some of these mistakes. As many, but not all, investigators also know.

Second, there may be, and often are, special interests which attempt to influence the designated investigators, sometimes successfully, often to the detriment of the scientific quality of the investigation. A wider discussion mitigates the effects of such influence.

Third, the increasing criminalisation of accidents means that when an "official" investigation is finished, sometimes some poor souls receive criminal indictments, based on the official report or other official investigation. They may get off, if various experts can persuade the court that the official report does not tell quite the right story, or the story that the prosecution want to read into it, but even if they do the years that this takes can often destroy their lives. (I have tried already to avoid this particular theme here, but it does seem to have a way of bubbling over.)

And fourth, in this case the Brazilian polity apparently needs to take a collective decision about the future use of Congonhas airport. Figuring out quickly what did and did not go wrong with this accident is likely to support a passable collective decision. Basing such a decision on speculative information, such as would happen if all data on this accident were secret, is unlikely to be as productive for the society as a whole.

Do I also detect a sense that discussing accidents is somehow disrespectful to the victims? I have not found that to be the case. More often, I have found that surviving family members try to make contact with other people who might help them, because they have little or no access to "official" proceedings.

PBL