PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 00:13
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do for a rejected take-off with both thrust reversers inop? Do you have to remember to arm the ground spoilers? Or select reverse anyway? Or just use manual braking?

bsieker,

The armed condition of the spoilers is shown on the ECAM Takeoff Memo and checking it is a part of every take-off. The line "SPLRS.......Arm" is shown in blue until the PNF arms them at which time the memo becomes green.

Also a part of the memo is the line "T/O Config.....Test". This simulates a takeoff and checks the configuration of required systems, including spoiler position, but not whether the ground spoilers are armed. If all items are correctly configured the line changes to "T/O Config....Normal" in green. If any system is not in the correct configuration the CRC sounds and a Master Warning and ECAM Warning are triggered. However, those warnings won't occur if the ground spoilers are only not armed as opposed to not retracted. Having never tried this I don't know whether the line "T/O Config....Test" will change to "Normal" if the test is carried out with the ground spoilers not armed. The FCOM is silent on the matter, so it might be possible.

Once the before takeoff flow has been completed the Before Takeoff Checklist is read which includes the item "ECAM Memo.....No Blue", so any ommision to arm the ground spoilers should again be noticed at this time.

However, supposing it wasn't and the crew commenced a take-off after ignoring both to carry out the before take-off flow and then the check list (or intentionally decided to take-off without the ground spoilers armed), then for the ground spoilers to extend the speed would have to above 72 knots and at least one reverser would have to be in at least idle reverse. In this case a decision to not select reverse on either engine would result in the ground spoilers not extending to the best of my reading of the FCOM.

In practice I think in an actual reject, regardless of both T/R's being inoperative, most pilots would reflexively pull both thrust levers to reverse idle before they had the time to think about them both being inoperative, so likely they would still get ground spoiler extension even despite all of the missed items above. However, as you point out that is not following the procedure as written in the MEL page TripleBravo posted. So, for the TAM A320 at least (there is no similar procedure in the A330 MEL I have) it seems it is possible to do as you suggest, and one should be aware of it if operating an aircraft with both T/R's deactivated. Perhaps a revision to the MEL procedure might be appropriate?

ELAC