PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 20:20
LGS6753

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave -

The drop in Silverjet's share price was based on their announcement that they are dropping the Flyjet European charter business. The Daily Mail reported that wrongly, and I guess some City types misunderstood the implications, and marked the share price down.

IMHO it was the right thing to do. The European charter business is crowded and in turmoil with the four majors amalgamating down to two, and competition from carriers based elsewhere in the EU (like Malta, Spain etc) as well as the proliferation of low-cost-base Turkish airlines. Flyjet was always going to be a poor relation to Silverjet, and potentially divert management attention.

Silverjet's US services seem to have started as well as can be expected given that their original aircraft was (is) a bit of a shed, and caused problems due to unserviceability. Hopefully the next four (all ex-Britannia/Thomsonfly) are in better condition, and will permit the planned growth to happen.

I would be surprised to see Denver as an early destination. Silverjet are a niche player, and need to get established on major trunk routes where they can cream off premium traffic. NYC was obvious, the only rumour I've heard of a US destination is Chicago, although I would anticipate volumes being sufficient on SFO and LAX to accommodate Silverjet. Both of those would stretch aircraft utilisation to offer a daily service (c 20 hours flying per day).

But of course we'd love to see you flying from Luton....