PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 4
Thread: Aer Lingus - 4
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 18:09
ryan2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A commenator made the point that load factors and yields on SNN-LHR are only part of the picture.
The cost of operating a two shift operation at Shannon compared to a new low cost venture at Belfast must also be taken into account.
I'm also informed that the radical changes in work practices that have taken place in Dublin and Cork have not been implemented to the same extent in Shannon and that this may have been a factor in the decision.
The extremely genorous concessions given to Ryanair and the subsequent flooding of the Shannon market with 1 cent seats must also have driven fares down on Heathrow. No less than 5 airlines together with weekly German and Dutch charter flights have left since.

I agree that slots on ORK LHR or even DUB LHR are no longer cast in stone. Maybe we need to think outside of the LHR box. It's reputation as a transit airport leaves a lot to be desired.

Finally fresh rumours of EI operating ORK/BFS/JFK have surfaced. I'm sure all those interest groups looking for balanced regional development in the media this week will be delighted if the rumours are true.