PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dili Black Hawk
Thread: Dili Black Hawk
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 14:24
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Blackhawk9 put it perfectly. The UH-60 is an excellent helicopter and very capable of doing many things, including flying aggressively in the ways that the Mega Force guys require. However, there is an excellent quote floating around amongst those who do the bullet dodging work: "Combat situations do not negate aerodynamic principals nor aircraft limitations" -- give a guy less than a year of by-the-book training (as militaries around the world do for their pilots) and put them in a helicopter that they have been told is the ferarri of the skies and load up a dozen of the meanest and most dangerous men in the world, then tell said pilot to do a hot maneuver to get the guys in, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure how the Australians do it, but in the good ole American army, it is not uncommon for the total flight hours in the cockpit to be below 1500 and the cumulative years flying to be in the single digits... in combat, with a Mega Force team in the back, at night, in poor weather, chasing bad guys that are running or driving like crazy. All militaries have always had a poor understanding of the capabilities and limits of helicopters and the prerequisites so that they can perform tasks safely. While I doubt a 200 hour wonder would be doing shipborne special forces assaults in any military, seeing what they ARE doing at their experience level can begin to show the lower experience level that Militaries seem to feel necessary to do a given task, and it is that way across the entire spectrum of missions. If you're the biggest military in the world with a damn near unlimtied budget, you can compensate (at least a little) with good training and extensive recurrent training, but if your military doesn't have a budget up in the clouds, the chances of getting the people proficient and keeping them at their best is a very difficult task, especially for such a demanding mission.

Obviously I'm not saying the pilots in this situation fell into this category, but its very possible that they could have. That is how the big green machine sure seems to work.

Mike