PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compatibles or original cartridges?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 08:26
A2QFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original or compatibles

Comment here on exactly this subject - from another forum
I've used compatibles for 11 years - the first printer I bought in May 1996 was a Canon BJC600e (cost £360 at Makro) and, apart from the original cartridges, I either refilled the four cartridges or used compatibles.
In November 2005 I bought an Epson R300, like the BJC600e able to do both text and photos (the latter its main design criteria).
Epson genuine cartridges are around £12 each and it takes six in total. The cost is obvious.
Instead, I pay around £4 per set of six compatibles from www.diskdepot.co.uk, buying several sets at a time to make the most of the delivery charge.
These compatible cartridges appear to be exactly the same as sold on e-Bay and some retail outlets at higher prices when compared side by side - the ones from the link given are badged Sumvision, of MP3 players and other computer products fame.
Epson printers are known for playing up if using poor quality inks, but mine has never given any trouble. It's an excellent printer but the Canon, build quality wise, was in a higher league.
My thoughts are that on the basis that 2 sets of makers cartridges equal the cost of a complete printer I suggest using compatibles and if they spoil your printer buy a new one.