PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA and Missed Approach gradient
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 04:27
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Pencil, I've had a bit of a think over your question, it is a good one.
If I was in a passenger carrying Cessna 402 or Metro and I had all motors turning happily as I prepared for the approach...

... I would plan to use the lowest MDA available with respect to my all-engines-operating missed approach performance.

If I had suffered and secured an engine failure prior to commencing the approach, I would use a (probably higher) MDA based on my one-inop missed approach performance.

If that MDA was higher than the reported cloud base, then I would be proceeding to an alternate.

This is where your prior preparation and situational awareness kicks in. YPAD details and environment are a little way back in the past for me now, but you have two other aerodromes nearby (YPED and YPPF), but they might be experiencing the same local conditions. YPLC, YWHA, YPAG, The conditions might be better on the other side of the range of hills or the other side of the gulf.

So in a way it comes back to a little bit of alternate planning prior to departure, and a good aide memoir is - Never hold a sh!thole for a sh!thole

Now for the "fun" scenario. You commence the approach with both motors behaving themselves. On the way down to your target MDA, be aware of when you have passed your "single engine" MDA.

If you are not visual at the target MDA, and you commence the missed approach, and one of the motors chooses to quit on you at this point, yep you aint going to make the missed approach gradient. However from studying the chart you know that for the moment there should be a runway beneath you. You can't see it, but that is a nice obstacle free place to be for the moment. You also note from the chart that a 'no circling' zone is displayed from the NE to W quadrants greater than 4 DME. To the W and NW is open ocean.

So you are in a not good place, but you have about a mile or so (translate 30s - 45s) to get the aircraft under control and climbing. I'd then be planning to start a right turn at 15 deg AoB before 3 DME S of AD onto a heading between 220 to 300 and head out over the water. I'd also be conscious that puts me in potential conflict with traffic arriving onto RW05 or overshooting RW23 so I'd be getting on the radio and TELLING the tower my situation and my intended tracking.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ITCZ; 9th Aug 2007 at 06:21.