PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are people going?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 23:56
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates

I just love PPRUNE. You can write any innuendo you like and it must be true as anything written in response is just validating the original statement's veracity.

Mini Cooper.
Approx 94 guys left EK last year before retirement age. That equates to less than 5% of their total pilot workforce. A huge percentage of their CNs are Direct Entry - I think it is of the order of 20-30%. WHy have DECs? Because they have had trouble getting everyone to upgrade. The EK salary was so low a few years ago that they had to cast the net far and wide to find people willing to work for them. The consequence was that many that joined are not suitable to be upgraded at the 3-4 year mark.

Work rate - well, with that 5% leaving and rapid expansion some of the AIrbus guys were pushing 900 hours. This year the annual hours will be much closer to 700 hours.

So how do you raise the standard of new joiners - you pay more. EK gave a 17% payrise this year(6% on base salary, 11% in newly introduced HDP). EK payrises have been in excess of 40% over the last 5 years - or in excess of 50% if you include the effect of their Exchange Rate Protection.

If an EK pilot did up to 84 CX style credit hours, he would currently be getting $63.7K HKD(grossed up for HKG tax) as a year 1 FO and if he gets his command in year 5 he will be on $100.3K. I have not included profit share as we can just assume it is the same as our 13th month and profit share combined - well, actually it is more but not worth worrying about.
They have rent free or buy schemes like CX. Apart from free utilities most of their benefits are on a par with CX.

Why do people leave - FOs don't like having DECs? Long term CNs want to return to Australia/home country?

By the way, since EK have 3% increments vs CX's current 1.8%, the gap between an EK and CX CNs' salary continues to increase with time!

So EK pilots leaving in masses heh? Will be interesting to see how many this year versus how many leaving CX after the announcement of the pay rises! I think the CX historic rate was less than 1%(not counting retirees). I know from some mates in Virgin Blue management that a bunch of their pilots have done interviews with EK - wonder how many Virgin Blue guys did CX interviews?

The attraction of EK used to be quick commands (3-4years vs CX 12+ years with RA65). Now it is quick commands AND more money than CX.

Actually Mini cooper, I apologise. Maybe you posted that negative view of EK to feel good about being in CX? Maybe you are in EK and think the grass is greener in CX? I have a good friend who has worked in both so I have had some great insight.

Lets just say that when they are handing our awards for "Best Human Resource Management of Airline Pilots" it will be neck and neck between CX and EK - for the wooden spoon!