PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 8th Aug 2007, 22:39
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Wino...
xxx
I know you do not approve of my arguments. You are in USA, a completely different airline environment than mine. I was 1969 to 1991 with PanAm, an ALPA carrier and I had my ALPA card... You appear to be a "Union man"... I was, until 1991... Now I am overseas, completing 38/39 years of a career as pilot... and the USA airline industry and unions, I will not tell you say here my opinion about them, as I am a polite person.
xxx
When PanAm busted, I got an offer as F/E 727 with Delta, for new hire wages, ($1,200/mo. gross - how gross!) yet having 1,000 hrs PIC on 727, 6,000 hrs PIC on 707/DC8 and 1,000 hrs PIC on 747, and ALPA member since 1969... I slammed the door on the USA airline industry, and ALPA as well...
xxx
Here in Argentina, our unions are no better, but one thing, they help pilots of bankrupt air carriers. A few years ago, LAPA, a 737 domestic carrier, bit the dust. We have basically hired out of their defunct seniority, into our airline. Those pilot, who were 737 captains, after completing 12 months with us, are offered upgrade to 737 captain with us, in priority... the union goons decided all of that... not necessarily me... By the way, their date of hire (with us) will be their seniority date, and they later will be bypassed by other more senior pilots who will upgrade.
xxx
We wanted (and unions too) to preserve the status of these experienced 737 pilots, and offer them the decency to continue their lives, and not be obliged to go overseas... By the way, our new-hire wages are decent ($4,000/mo) for a country, you, in USA, define as a third world nation. Not bad for a place where a filet mignon is $12.oo...
xxx
Delta never offered us PanAmigos the consideration (nor did ALPA) that the Argentines give their airline pilots. And same happened to the pilots of Braniff, and Eastern...
xxx

Happy contrails