PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 21:06
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@PBL
Of course never without units - corrected.

@lomapaseo
I should have stated that my figure is true for construction / material related failures only. This does not include human error.

@Sdruvss
Interesting perspective.

I thought once more about the transcript. At 18:43:04 the crew briefed themselves that they have only the left reverser. OK, that's just stating that #2 is inop. But right after touchdown, at 18:48:26 the PNF (HOT-2) says "reverse number one only." To me, these words sound a bit odd, as "reverse" is a verb in its imperative, not the noun (the thing at the engine). So in other words I read that as a reminder to the PF to pull back only lever #1, which could imply "don't touch #2". Even when this was not the exact intention of that sentence, it could be misunderstood like that and could have influenced PF who has left lever #2 at CLB (if the DFDR has it right). Why?

Then I took another look at the MMEL published by TAM:

The big, fat, bold sentence says to "not select thrust reverser on the affected engine". Yes, there is an "if": Only if a certain warning was triggered in flight. This caution is not true if the affected reverser was disabled prior departure. In that case the applicable procedure says REV 1 AND 2 ... MAX as we all know now, but it is written in normal letters.

To me this appears like a negative contribution to human factors: Could the bold caution been stuck in their minds, because it is the biggest eyecatcher on that page of the MMEL?

Looks like human factors are not limited to man-machine interfaces but instead start with the manual. Could it be misleading in a stressful situation?