PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin UK - Crew Discussions
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 20:12
Jcdcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality is that you are not represented by the Union. I am Crew but am not a Union member.

Did it not strike anybody as odd that Brian Boyd was making statements to the press during negotiations? He was not doing that for the benefit of the Crew - he was doing so, in my opinion, to further his own career and raise his own profile. Self publicity rather than an outcome desirable to union members may have been the priority.

The company only have a set amount to play with in terms of pay negotiations - all 3 offers prob have been dealing with the same amount - just rehashed in different packages.

If the union wanted a higher guaranteed initial pay increase ie 4.8%, then it stands to reason that they would make cutbacks elsewhere in terms of crew compliments and airshare. The union would have been fully aware of this throughout - they have indeed urged union members to accept.

IF I was a union member I would not be annoyed with the company - they are a business and will always have financial limtiations and constraints, and its a smart move to suggest 3 deals without real finiancial increases. I would however feel very let down by those employed to represent me - the Union.