PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fokker 100 loading and MACTOW
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 18:22
Stick-N-Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fokker 100 loading and MACTOW

Hello all.

I've been working for a few months as a load controller and one of the types I've been working on frequently is the Fokker 100. This a/c seems to have a tendency to be nose heavy whenever the loads are heavier. Some of the flights we work on have two separate destinations, and the required baggage segregation, sometimes aggravated with consiberable loads of mail, leaves no option but to use all four holds. No matter how much we try to load in the rear holds, in these situations the CG often "slides" forward much more than we'd wish, and I have in some cases issued loadsheets with MACTOWs of 20.5 and similar, far from what I intended originally. My senior colleagues seem to agree that there is not much one can do in such situations given the type of flights and loads, and that it's ok as long as the a/c is within operational limits.

From my limited experience this seems to be correct but I am curious to hear pilots' opinions on this, especially those who fly or have flown this type. What is your "ideal" MACTOW considering safety, a/c handling and fuel saving? Also do you encounter frequently the type of situation as described above? Do your airlines or handling agents have any particular loading techniques to deal with this, or is it inevitable to operate with low MACs in such circumstances?

Awaiting your opinions.
Cheers