PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 18:03
GearDown&Locked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL,

I'm sure it's not our (shared hopefully) wish to discuss semantics, human behavior or neuroscience here and bore everybody. But I will reply by answering with a simple example:

-you're locked in a room that has a nice big red box with a fire hose inside connected to a water valve. This room also has water sprinklers fitted. On the wall you have this big red button.

Suddenly fire spreads out, fast and deadly. What would you do?

a) you rush to the wall, hit that red button, and wait for the sprinklers to act.

b) in an orderly manner, you walk to red box, open it, pull the hose out, open the water valve and point it to the base of the fire.

Did you choose a)? Congratulations, you managed to cut all electricity to the room. Now you're in the dark and cannot find the red box with all that smoke.

You have chosen b). Great, you've got some burns because of the time needed to open the box, pull the hose and open the valve, but you've managed to survive.

My point: IF the room builder had thought out this situation in an intuitive manner, he would never had used the automatic fire detection system and, instead, he would have connected the sprinkler system to that red button on the wall. By the way, this system had an error in its conception: the automatic fire detectors were connected to the same electric system that would be affected by the original button operation. Any delayed detection would be prevented after the button pressed.

Stupid example? think about it for a second when you're in the next hotel room.

GD&L