PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2007, 10:11
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bomarc asked

why couldn't an experienced checkairman in the left seat stop the plane?
and ELAC replied

I don't know. I'll be looking to the investigators to find out and I hope they do a good job of exploring all avenues in the quest for why
The significant similar incidents appear to be 1998 Bacolod and 2004 Taipei-Sungshan. (America West in Phoenix was a case of mishandling thrust on rollout, after touchdown, so in this respect not similar.) All those four pilots are still alive. Ideally, one could talk to them a lot and try to find out more about their cognitive state. There is absolutely no information about that in either of the reports and yet it is crucial to understanding how thrust could be left above idle on touchdown, as well as how manual braking could be so delayed.

I have an acquaintance whose wife was on the Bacolod aircraft and who sent me the report. He said yesterday that he has corresponded with F/O Hernandez, who apparently maintains that it was a technical system failure, a "computer error". So it looks as if that avenue will not be as promising as one might have hoped.

PBL

PBL