PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End Of Cabin Crew Seniority In Qf Long Haul?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 23:00
White Pointer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the record I have left QF long haul after 7 years of being stuck at the bottom of the pile. No chance to have a life, and in my perspective, there was no real chance of it ever improving.

My point is that if the senior people want to get the support of junior ones in maintaining the current system, they need to recognise that life is tough at the bottom. The old argument of 'you will be senior one day' has well and truly gone past its use by date with many. The other argument that little Johhny will be gone at the end of the year is also a frugile attempt at convincing people. So he gets voted out. How long do you think it will take things to improve? Rudd gets in and things will be different overnight? I think it will take years to change, even when they do get in to government.

When the London base opened, I like everyone hated it. However, at one point I did consider going up there for a change (about a year after it started), but was berated and called a scab by some crew for thinking of it. My point was that it is there now, and it is better to have Aussies crewing the flying rather than foreign nationals. The only positive about going up there would have been the better rostering (not being stuck with the leftovers like here) and a change in scenery. It still does not diminish the fact that the whole situation stinks, but by some going up there, perhaps less annual and long service may have been assigned because there would have been less long haul crew to share the given amount of flying available back here (ie less of a surpluss).

For the record, I ended up not going, but just because I considered the possibility I was given grief by some short sighted people. If no Australian crew went there, would it have been the end of the base? In my opinion No. Not at that stage after it had been going for a year or so.

The same goes for the NY issue. I did not like the fact that things changed like many, but given the choice of the shuttle being crewed by us or Kiwis I expressed my view that it should be crewed by us. Again the cause of ridicule from some. Just my point. It is not by any way saying I supported the whole concept of what was happening. You sometimes have to make choices you may not like simply because you may not like the alternative even more.

Now I work for a corporate jet charter company, still get to fly a couple of times a month, and do other roles. The pay is also similar and overall I am much happier. This allows me more time at home, flexibility in my life to spend time with my husband and to have children. You want everyone to fight for seniority to protect the mothers who need to be home for child care, but in doing so you are asking others to give up the possibility of being able to do the same themselves.

My whole point in wasting time posting on here now? I wish some of you people would realise that there is a growing silent minority who may just become a majority against the seniority system as it stands. If you wish to keep it, you will at least have to offer something to people who are disadvantaged by the system. Be it buckets that limit trips like the tech crew have, or perhaps sharing leave allocation so that once every few years you get a chance to have Christmas off. A small move in that direction will at least offer something for all. The senior can keep the bulk of their advantage, while the junior get something in return.

How many crew have joined the long haul seniority list in the last 5 years? And how many have started flying for QF (ie. bases, casuals, short haul)? What do you think the prospects in the view of junior crew really are? For years everyone has been told not to worry, you will be senior one day, but for most you can only go on what you see and the track record (ie reality) is not great.

If you want to remain united, it is time to show some sympathy towards those who suffer, not constantly berate them as whingers etc. The constant bickering and name calling does nothing but alienate people more. There are always going to be people with a different point of view, and just because you don't agree with them does not make either of you correct.

Otherwise, more junior crew will continue to leave (like myself) further diluting the remaining long haul seniority and numbers. Sad this is happening, but I feel it will only get worse if things don't change.

Anyhow, good luck to you with all of it, just try and fight it united with everyones support rather than fighting each other which to some extent seems to be happening now. Life has changed for me now, so whichever way it goes is not my problem. Perhaps that is why I can stick my head out of the sand and say what many are thinking but are too scared to say in public. Until people come to the realisation that people think like this, the chances of a united fight diminish.