PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2007, 21:52
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bubbers44,

After your post your post #1227:

... Boeing systems don't put you in that predicament. Boeing systems are so much more pilot user friendly than Airbus. You always get what you ask for. You don't have to see if Airbus logic agrees. When have you seen a Boeing aircraft go off the end of a runway over 100 knots because the pilots could not control the thrust? No matter who is at fault.
In response I asked:

BTW, I'm just curious about how many hours of operating experience on Airbus A320/A330/A340 aircraft lie behind your assertion that "Boeing systems are so much more pilot user friendly than Airbus." I'd assume you have at least a thousand hours or more on both manufacturer's models before you'd be so bold as to venture that sort of an opinion?
So far you have yet to reply to that question either publicly or privately.

But now you come up with:

Remember the "good old days" when a microswitch or system logic fault or pilot not quite handling the throttles correctly would still let you land uneventfully? I guess those days are coming to an end.

Unfortunately I am talking about the 757 era aircraft.
So, I am forced to ask again: What qualification do you have to that entitles you to make this comparison or judgement? Exactly how many hours do you have on Airbus FBW aircraft and what do you know about their systems? My suspicion is that the answer amounts to what we in Canada call a Donut Hole, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

If your opinions are the result of actual experience operating aircraft of both designs you are fully entitled to them, however much I may choose to disagree with you. But, if you have no serious operating experience with the Airbus types, or detailed education regarding how their systems work, I'd suggest that your opinion is no more than the uninformed viewpoint of someone who has yet to take the opportunity to become acquainted with the facts. That might be enough to earn you a pass on the spotters balcony but this thread is a serious discussion about serious issues and an unsubstantiated opinion about the "good old days" (on a B757 of all aircraft, for heaven's sake!) when "a microswitch or system logic fault or pilot not quite handling the throttles correctly would still let you land uneventfully" just isn't going to cut it.

So, I ask again: What is the experience and what are the qualifications that you rely on to support your opinions? Unless you're prepared to answer that we really don't whether your opinions are informed or otherwise. And I'm sure you know what they say uninformed opinions are like?

On this element of the discussion I'd suggest that it's put up or shut up time. Either divulge the underlying experience that forms the basis for your point of view or as an alternative consider restricting your printed observations to those that you have the background experience to support.

ELAC

(and to head of the inevitable: 3 Boeing type ratings including multiple thousands of hours very happily spent flying the B757)