PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 21:28
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
witchiepoo
How about promotion and employment based on the system the rest of the corporate world uses - test results, experience, and references.
This gave me a fine laugh.

I am not a pilot but spent 27 years in corporate life. I worked in IT in retail, local government, City of London financial district, freight companies etc. as well as working with (and in) four countries, two of them outside of Europe.

I have seen people promoted because they were the absolute best for the job as well as because it was 'their turn' and the company knew that if they denied the promotion again, they lose the person. Since the person had lots of experience and knowledge of the company - that would be bad.

I have also seen that, when a person is promoted, it is often the worst thing for them. There is a commonplace saying that, if you promote your best salesman to Sales Manager, then you have just gained a bad Sales Manager and lost your best salesman.

The corporate world promotes people on all the usual things: Greed, favouritism, nepotism, ignorance, bribery, self-interest, hatred for the company - the lot.

Say again s l o w l y
When people say "Human Resources" in flying circles, it is usually followed up by a sneer or sarky comment, but that is really due to not understanding what HR is really all about. (BTW, I'm not in HR)
In almost all the companies I have worked for (or now come into contact, whilst being self-employed) also follow 'HR' with a sneer or sarky comment!

The only thing to be sure of is that, like all things human, one day seniority will change. So it is not a question of "Is it a good thing?" but "When will it go for legacy carriers?"