PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Crash on Isle of Wight
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2007, 20:36
QDMQDMQDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is mad. Let's not get bound up in political correctness and lose sight of the wood for the trees.

A Cherokee 140 tried to get out of a grass strip on a moderately hot day 4-up with at least a reasonable amount of fuel and probably some baggage. It stalled and crashed. The chances are 99% that W+B and MTOW issues were somewhere at the heart of this accident. Why shouldn't people discuss this? It's a recurring theme, which kills lots of people in small aircraft. Most pilots would regard 4-up in any conditions in a Cherokee 140 as verging on insanity, or at least to be treated with the utmost circumspection.

Maybe there was carb icing, maybe a partial engine failure, maybe a bird strike, maybe, maybe, maybe, but that doesn't mean we should ignore, and therefore fail to discuss, the bleeding obvious. And I don't think we should have to preface everything we say with endless, self-conscious disclaimers either.

You can speculate to your heart's content if I have an accident. I'll probably have done something very stupid.